Information About Walkers, Kiss & Ride, and Bus Riders
Students Walking to and From School
- Many children walk to school. Crossing guards and patrols are posted along routes for the safety of walking students. In order to ensure supervision of walking children by patrols and guards, students should time their morning trip in order to arrive at school no earlier than 8:50 a.m. At dismissal, students are required to leave the building and school grounds promptly and go directly home.
- For students who live within the walking boundary to Greenbriar West and wish to ride their bikes to/from school, there are two bike racks available. Space is available on a first come, first served basis. Parents must complete and submit the Bicycle Riding Agreement before the student will be allowed to bike to/from school. The Agreement form is available on the GBW website or in the main office.
Kiss & Ride
- In an effort to provide the best possible afternoon dismissal Kiss ‘n Ride at Greenbriar West procedures are below. It is extremely important that students get in and out of their cars in a safe and timely manner.
- A form will be sent home. Please return it to school as soon as possible. The information will be used to create a number system specific to your family. Upon completion of this form, you will receive a laminated card number in your child’s Thursday folder.
- We ask you to place the card visibly on your car dashboard every afternoon during dismissal. We will use this number to identify you and to call your child from the gym to the pickup area.
- Please teach your child to remember your car “number” when called to Kiss ‘n Ride from the gym.
- Also, due to the high volume of traffic on Poplar Tree Road, only right turns are allowed during arrival and dismissal. Please review and adhere to these guidelines to ensure student safety.
- From time to time, it is necessary to drive students to and/or from school. The parking area on the side of the school has been designated as the “Kiss and Ride” area for loading and unloading students in private cars. The school driveway in front of the school is closed to all traffic other than FCPS school bus traffic from 8:50 a.m.-9:20 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.-4:20 p.m.
- Thank you for helping us make Kiss ‘n Ride a better experience for everyone!
- Bus transportation is provided for those children who live more than one mile from the school or when an unsafe condition exists. School bus riders in FCPS are required to observe rules of safety and good citizenship while riding on a bus and while waiting at the designated bus stop. Standards for safe, courteous conduct will be in effect beginning the first day of school. Bus driver reports of student misconduct occurring more than once can result in suspension of bus riding privileges.